Friday, November 13, 2009

Game Drive in Kenya



JAMBO...Swahili for hello.

We awoke at 6:00 to the sound of drums and singing. We went out onto the patio and found that we had arrived in Mombasa and truly felt that we were in Africa. We departed the ship at 7:30 to travel 2 hours to Tsavo National Park. We traveled in 23 vans that had pop-up roofs once we got to the park. You stood to look out to see the game.

So many animals and birds. We weren't sure that we would see much, as the best game viewing is in the early morning and evening. Lunch at the Lodge provided an incredible view of the watering hole (complete with elephants), the plains and mountains in the distance. It was a long, hot, tiring day, but well worth it. We felt like we saw how the people lived, much of it unchanged for hundreds of years. Most houses had no electricity or running water. It makes you grateful for all that we have.

2 comments:

  1. I noticed that there was a very LIGHT colored new tribe member!! Wonder who that was??? I thought that I would see the two of you having a lovely Elephant or Giraffe ride. Don't disappoint me. However, stay away, from the Ostrich. They are not KIND. We love hearing from you and seeing pictures. Be Safe and take care of each other. A.Tommie-Fran-Vick

    ReplyDelete
  2. Charlotte,
    I was given your travel blog address by Janene, and I am SO happy to be following along on the adventure with you! I LOVE the photograph of you dancing with the natives :-) I can "hear" how thrilled you are to be experiencing this trip of a lifetime. Thanks for sharing these thoughts and photographs with us! Have a wonderful journey, and safe home!

    Roberta

    ReplyDelete